[X4U] Guesses on G4 lifespan?

geno endicott geno at barbaloot.com
Wed Jan 11 11:44:29 PST 2006

It was said in the keynote that all macs will be moved over to intels
by the end
of 2006. I would assume they would stop selling them at that time. Or
just have
a few left and discounted. No point in keeping the old stuff around with new
better stuff.

Quoting Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca>:

> Will there be a price drop on the PPC Macs now that the Intels are out?
>

> On 11/1/06 1:45 PM, "net kat" <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> OK..we all know that Macs can remain in service for decades, but what I mean
>> by "lifespan" was:
>>
>> "How long will apple continue to SELL G4-powered Macs."
>>
>> based on what I've heard and read, I don't know if they want to
>> flush away all
>> PPC macs as soon as they can, or do it gradually.
>>
>> some 'ware won't run on intel-based Macs..and so one might want to snag an
>> extra one before they're dinosaurs
>>

>> On Jan 11, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:
>>

>>> What do you mean by "useful operation" I have an iMac DV (1999), a
>>> PowerBook
>>> 1400cs, (1997), a PowerMac 7200 (1995) and an old Centris 610
>>> (1993) that are
>>> all still useful in their own way. I also have an Macintosh SE that's been
>>> converted into a fishbowl and I suspect the fish find it quite useful. I
>>> admit that last one doesn't really count as far as your statement
>>> goes but it
>>> just goes to show you that there's always a use for an old Mac.

>> Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:
>>          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

geno.

e version 4.5
http://www.barbaloot.com
AIM: BARBALUT

"You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon
meeting her,
but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a
river of blood."
-neil gaiman