[X4U] Guesses on G4 lifespan?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 13:29:02 PST 2006

On 1/11/06 2:29 PM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I always thought retailers chopped the prices (even Apple) when new hardware
> was introduced?

Only if they need to, for example, when the new faster computer is the same
price as the older slower computer it replaces. Then, discounting the old
stock is necessary, or no one would buy it.

However... I don't expect to see deep discounts on PowerBooks and iMacs just
yet. Why? 1) People who don't want Intel will snatch these last
PowerPC-based machines, and the demand could be high enough so that
discounts are not necessary. 2) The new Macbooks aren't shipping for a month
or two; there's a couple months worth of sales to be had in the meantime! 3)
When hardware announcements are made a month or two ahead of shipping,
there's plenty of time to "run out the inventory" and in those cases,
there's very few of the old machines left to discount.

Fire sale on outgoing gear? Watch your local AppleStore or Apple display at
CompUSA -- when products are changed out, often the units that were on
display are deeply discounted and sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
I was in the right place at the right time, and got my dual 2GHz G5 for
nearly a 50% discount that way.

peace,
Linda (who has a dual 800 Quicksilver for sale...)