[X4U] Some users log in to beachball, no desktop

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Thu Jan 12 11:19:27 PST 2006

Maybe someone can help me here - I'm pulling my hair out.  After the
holiday break, a couple of students found that they could no longer
access their accounts on a 733 MHz G4 Tower running Mac OS X 10.3.9.
One of the students' accounts is an Admin, the other is Standard.  My
admin account works fine and other students' Standard accounts work
fine.  Basically, at login, the Finder does not load - just the
beachball of death.  I can launch Programs from the dock (but of
course Console or Terminal are not in their docks, so I can't see
what's going on).

I have repaired permissions.  I have booted into OS9 on that machine
and removed all of the Admin student's preference files from Home/
Library/Preferences but there is no change.  I have removed all of
their login items.

I may have done a security update over the break, but no other
changes to this machine have been made (I was the only in-town admin
over the break).  Any ideas?  What have I missed?  Could their
accounts have been "corrupted"? It really doesn't make sense to me.
Also, I tried created a new user and that works fine.  So yes, I
could just drag files from the "dead" user to a new account, <cough
permissions issues <cough> but I'd like to know what's going on.

Thanks for any insight,

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 2.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.3
pkrug at mac.com