[X4U] Windows on Mac Fact

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Thu Jan 12 13:14:38 PST 2006

Can OSX on PCs be far behind? I know it can be done already but maybe it be
much easier to pull off?

----------------------------

http://techreport.com/

Apple has confirmed that it won't prevent users from running Windows on
Intel-based Macs.

    Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product
marketing, said in an interview Tuesday that the company won't sell or
support Windows itself, but also hasn't done anything to preclude people
from loading Windows onto the machines themselves.

    "That's fine with us. We don't mind," Schiller said. "If there are
people who love our hardware but are forced to put up with a Windows world,
then that's OK."

The ability to run Windows could make Apple hardware more attractive to
users with no interest in switching to OS X. Gamers should be particularly
pleased with the ability to dual-boot, too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

SEATTLE - Apple Computer Inc. won't thwart users from loading Microsoft's
Windows operating system onto its new Intel-based Macintosh computers _ but
don't expect Apple to start offering a Mac running Windows.

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing,
said in an interview Tuesday that the company won't sell or support Windows
itself, but also hasn't done anything to preclude people from loading
Windows onto the machines themselves.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

"That's fine with us. We don't mind," Schiller said. "If there are people
who love our hardware but are forced to put up with a Windows world, then
that's OK."

Schiller made the comments at Tuesday's Macworld Expo, where Microsoft also
said it had signed a five-year pact with Apple to develop versions of Office
for Macs and announced plans to release a version of Office that will be
compatible with Apple's new Intel-based computers.

Macs currently run Apple's own proprietary operating system, which competes
with Windows. However, since Windows is much more dominant, Mac users don't
necessarily have access to many software programs written only for Windows.

Apple on Tuesday unveiled its first computers using Intel chips, which power
most PCs using Windows.

The switch could technically and theoretically allow a person to load
Windows onto a Mac computer, although the user would require some technical
expertise to pull it off. That would allow a person to run both Microsoft
and Apple's operating systems on the same Apple machine.

It was news Microsoft Corp. welcomed.

"Any new machines that are on the market that run Windows are great," said
Scott Erickson, director of product management and marketing for Microsoft's
Mac business unit.

Erickson said it was too early to say how Microsoft might take advantage of
an ability to run Windows on Macs, saying only that it could give Mac users
the potential to run Windows-based applications they previously couldn't.

Still, Erickson said Microsoft remains committed to offering a version of
its Office business software for Macintosh computers.

Microsoft, based in Redmond, wouldn't say when the new version of Office for
Macs will be released or what it will cost. Erickson said the company last
released a version of its Office business software for Macs in May of 2004,
and Microsoft generally releases updates every two to three years.

Erickson said the five-year deal, in which no money changed hands, should
help quell customer concerns that Microsoft will stop developing software
for its rival.

"What we wanted to do was just put to rest the question of, `Hey, are they
going to be around now that (Apple is) making a major switch to Intel?'"
Erickson said.

This is the second time Microsoft and Apple have signed pledges to work
together, although Microsoft has developed software for Macintoshes for more
than two decades.

___

AP Technology Writer May Wong contributed to this report.
Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.