[X4U] Name of MacBook (was G4 Lifespan)

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 12 14:28:31 PST 2006

I know I am against the flow here but I think the names PowerBook and
PowerMac should be retained. I know that the prefix "Power" in the
names can refer to the PPC chip inside but it can also suggest the
descriptions "powerful", "strong", "predominant" and any other
synonym which the advertisers can dream up. Everyday the advertising
gurus splash the word "power" through the media to catch your
attention. I believe that probably 99 per cent of the ordinary
everyday Mac consumers [which immediately bars all the readers of
this list] have no idea what a PPC chip means or is. Nor do they
care.  I suggest that the term "power" to them denotes those
attributes I have listed. The "power" in the name is meant not only
to differentiate the Mac from the PC but also to indicate it is
[more] powerful. As for having to change the name just because the
chip is now from Intel will, I think, mean a considerable loss of the
cachet which Apple has built up over the years. I assume Apple has
trademarked the names PowerBook and PowerMac so use them! They are
powerful symbols. "The PowerMac is now even more powerful" will
quickly smother any vague notions of PPC chips.

You can probably work out why Apple has not offered me a million
dollars a year to work for them!!

Cheers from a sunny and warm 35 deg C Down Under

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA