[X4U] New Software for PPC

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 12 16:43:19 PST 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 23:10, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> One last question then I’ll be done for awhile. Does anybody know
> how long or if new versions of Apple or non-Apple software will run
> on PPC? Will the Universal Binary versions still be installable on
> PPC?

If it won't install on a PPC then it's not a "Universal Binary", at
least until Apple switch to another kind of processor in 5 years'
time. For the present a "universal binary" will by definition install
on both PPCs and Intels. If it won't install on your G5 then it's an
"OS X Intel-only binary".

I suspect that for the next few years Apple & Adobe will simply be
specifying which models of PPC Macs their binaries will install on -
there are many G3s which have already for some time been unsuitable
for installing newer applications on and your G5 will be amongst the
last PPCs for which support will be dropped. I would expect - as a
personal guesstimate - the latest versions of Adobe Creative Suite
and Apple apps to support you for about 3 years.

Stroller.