[X4U] OT - wireless card for quicksilver

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 12 16:59:38 PST 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 21:39, alexandre wrote:

> i'm thinking of buying a second hand g4 (digital audio, quicksilver).
> what are my options for wireless connectivity? since original
> airport cards are quite expensive, i was thinking of looking into
> third-party products.

There are a number of PCI 802.11g cards that use the same Broadcom
chipset as the Airport Extreme.  At least some of these are
recognised as an Airport Extreme if installed in a PowerMac running
(I think) 10.3.5 or later. With other cards / versions of OS X.3 it
may be necessary to edit a .plist file to achieve this result. A
Google for "Airport PCI" or "Airport PCI broadcom" will probably turn
up some relevant results (otherwise add "OS X", quoted, to your
search terms).

If this is too much hassle for you the easiest way to connect any
device with Ethernet to a wireless network is by using a wireless
bridge. These can be used with Playstations & Xboxes, so are often
sold as "wireless gaming adaptors" and are easy to set up using a web-
based interface.
I suggest something like one of these:
   http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME101.php
   http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGE101.php