[X4U] Intel Duo 32-64 bit?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Fri Jan 13 22:04:59 PST 2006

> Also, if I recall correctly, Intel’s current 64bit chip is based on
> the old Pentium architecture, but they’ll have a 64bit version of
> the low power chip this summer for the Power Mac.

Yes if by 64-bit you mean the extension to the old x64 ISA. Intel
fledged that onto the Pentium IV, whereas the Core chips are
successors to the Pentium M.

But Intel has their own non-x86 64-bit architecture which has failed
to gain much success so far. But the Itanium II looks much better
than the first release and the compilers seem to be getting into gear
as well.

Björn