[X4U] Mail.app and mac.com in cahoots?

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sat Jan 14 05:53:54 PST 2006

Hello:
	I just installed Little Snitch (thanks to all of you who recommended
it! I come from the Windoze world, and I didn't know of a counterpart
to ZoneAlarm, until now).

	Anyway, whenever I open a message in Mail.app that comes from someone
with a .Mac address (@mac.com), Little Snitch shows that Mail.app wants
to connect to homepage.mac.com on port 80.

	Does anybody know what this is all about?  I have the "buddy" status
thing, and images on html, disabled.  I also cannot find any special
Header (e.g. for return-receipts), nor a Web-Bug encoded in a MIME body
part (they're all text/plain or text/enriched), that would trigger a
call back home.

	Like I said, I come from Windoze, so I'm paranoid by nature, and my
first impression is that Apple wants to track views or deliveries of
.Mac mail... (?!)

	Anybody has any details on this?

	dZ.
--