[X4U] Mail.app and mac.com in cahoots?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 14 06:41:08 PST 2006

On 14 Jan 2006, at 13:53, DZ-Jay wrote:

> 	I just installed Little Snitch (thanks to all of you who
> recommended it! I come from the Windoze world, and I didn't know of
> a counterpart to ZoneAlarm, until now).
>
> 	Anyway, whenever I open a message in Mail.app that comes from
> someone with a .Mac address (@mac.com), Little Snitch shows that
> Mail.app wants to connect to homepage.mac.com on port 80.
>
> 	Does anybody know what this is all about?  I have the "buddy"
> status thing, and images on html, disabled.

Under 10.2 & 10.3 Mail.app used to display the user's buddy icon to
the right of the message-headers when you read a message from
any .Mac user.

I assume that what you're seeing is Mail.app trying to retrieve these
images.

A more comprehensive packet-sniffer would probably tell you exactly
what URL Mail.app is trying to retrieve and so confirm or deny this
supposition.

Interestingly, on neither of my 10.4 systems are the .Mac images
displayed, despite having the buddy status preference enabled
(although this shows a green dot in the message list for online
buddies). I know it used to under 10.3 because I'd see avatars for
many users on this list who aren't in my buddylist. I can't imagine
that Apple have disabled this feature & can only think that it now
doesn't work for messages stored on an IMAP server??

Stroller.