[X4U] iTunes and FreeDB

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 14 07:14:19 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 4:10 PM, DZ-Jay wrote:

>>> 	Does anybody know how to force iTunes to use FreeDB instead of
>>> CDDB?  I tried setting Gracenote's hosts in the /etc/hosts file
>>> pointing to FreeDB's IP addresses, but that doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> You can't. Gracenote requires that applications using the CDDB use
>> _only_ that database...
>
> I know I *can't* configure it that way, but there should be a way
> to intercept the DNS queries or redirect the host name to a
> different IP.  Perhaps setting up some sort of proxy?

Dunno. There are FreeDB clients though, right? So you could transfer
the info from them to iTunes, or even from FreeDB web lookups (which
have pretty well formatted data). This said, FreeDB is not much
better than Gracenote in terms of data quality, and has far fewer CDs.

What type of music do you want to use FreeDB for?

Kirk
           Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
        Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France