[X4U] Windows on Mac Fact

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Jan 14 12:29:40 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:13:46AM CST, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:
:
: On 1/12/06 2:52 PM, "Eddie Hargreaves" <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
:
: > On 1/12/06 2:06 PM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:
: >
: >> I was just surprised to read that for real Apple admitted you'll be able to
: >> run Windows on a Mac.
: >
: > You just found this out? They admitted it last June when they first made the
: > Intel announcement.
:
: Actually, Windows XP will NOT run natively on the MacIntel Macs. Windows XP
: and all earlier versions of what started as MS-DOS require BIOS (basic
: input-output-system) as part of the chipset.
[...]
:
: The chipset in the new Macs doesn't include BIOS, so some emulation software
: will be necessary, if only to make the Windows OS boot.
:
: I've read "will too"/"will not" type arguments about whether Microsoft's
: implementation of boot code in Windows Vista will allow it to run without
: modification on the new Macs.

Windoze XP speaks BIOS, so it does not install on Intel Macs.

Windoze XP 64-bit speaks EFI, so it can install on Intel Macs.
However, Intel Core Duo is 32-bit, not 64-bit.

Windoze Vista is purported to speak EFI as well as BIOS, so it
can install on Intel Macs (whenever it is finally released).

Intel Macs have no BIOS, instead they have EFI (Intel's version
of a next-generation BIOS).

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/