[X4U] Refresh network connectivity

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Jan 18 08:02:41 PST 2006

> On 1/17/06, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> My isp sometimes
> drops the ball and goes off-line.
> I'll have cable tv, but no cable modem
> connection to the net.
>
> The standard way to restore connectivity is to
> power off the computer, then
> power off the router, then power off the cable
> modem.
> Then power them on in reverse order, i.e. first the cable modem,
> etc.
>
> Assuming I don't power off the computer in a situation like this, is
> there a
> way to get my connectivity back using either the command line or
> some gui
> utility?

Maybe your experience will be (or is, you didn't say
> whether you had
tried this) different than mine, but I normally don't have to
> do
anything with the computer.  Once the router/modem/whatever comes
> back
online, I'm ok to continue surfing away.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
First, notice the way Entourage garbled my reply to Michael Peterson!
Strange!  His reply looked normal when viewing, but when I pressed 'Reply',
ouch!

I have indeed be able to just continue surfing after resetting the router
and modem, but not always.

I'm using Ethernet, rather than wireless.

I'll look into the lookupd thingy.

This will be hard to troubleshoot, because I can't make their network go
offline.  ;-)