[X4U] DRAM failure (was Hard drive or hard drive controller gone)

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Jan 18 10:51:50 PST 2006

On 1/17/06 10:54 AM, "Linda" <XPressoBean at mac.com> wrote:

> Do you have any third-party peripherals installed? Keyboard, mouse, jump
> drive, disk drive, webcam, USB or firewire hub? Are you connected to
> broadband internet?
>
> What happens if you disconnect everything that wasn't original, including
> removing any third-party PCI cards and unhooking from the internet?

Things are looking bad. The computer freezes within 15-20 minutes of
booting, even if I'm not doing anything with it (mouse cursor frozen, no
input accepted from keyboard) when I boot normally.

I do have a third-party ethernet PCI card, but I took that out, and
disconnected all FW and USB peripherals (even those from Apple), and the
machine still freezes.

The weird thing is that it will run for HOURS from the Tiger Install DVD, or
from Tiger on the internal drive if I'm booted into single-user mode,
command-line interface.

Eric Morrison suggested resetting open firmware, resetting the motherboard,
and resetting parameter ram. None of those helped.

So, it's looking more and more like a motherboard problem, but then how is
it that the machine can pass memtest over and over and over AND run from the
internal hard drive or from the Intaller DVD without freezing up?

Jim Robertson