[X4U] New Pentium Macs

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Jan 24 07:24:11 PST 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I'm getting one of these new iMacs for my work. I regularly use
> Photoshop
> and Dreamweaver now I'm a little worried about performance. I
> thought the
> extra power would negate any slowdown by Rosetta but now I'm not so
> sure. I
> guess we'll see.

List mail just started working again after several days so I'm sorry
if this is a repeat. PC Mag just reviewed the new iMacs:

but professional users or anyone who uses graphics apps like Adobe
Photoshop and video-editing software (such as Final Cut Pro) should
wait until those tools are updated.

Pros: Intel Core Duo dual-core processor. Mini-DVI port for true dual-
monitor usage. Front Row software is now peppier.

Cons: Many applications that are not optimized for Intel will run
slower. Classic OS 9 environment no longer available.

Excerpts:

Other programs, such as the QuickTime player, show a marked
improvement. Before Core Duo you really needed a PowerMac G5 dual or
Quad tower to view 1080p high-definition movie trailers without the
annoying audio or video stutters seen on the original iMac G5. On the
new iMac, 1080p QuickTime 7 HD videos play smoothly without a hiccup.
The Superman Returns and King Kong movie trailers look phenomenal on
the new iMac.

Those that do utilize Rosetta, such as Aperture, Final Cut Pro,
Photoshop, and Quark Xpress, cause the new iMac to take a performance
hit, as you'll see in our chart  Apple iMac (Intel Core Duo)
benchmark test chart.

Phil