[X4U] Next step after safe boot fixes the problem?

Anne-Marie Concepcion mylists at senecadesign.com
Tue Jan 24 07:35:06 PST 2006

Backstory before I get to the question (in case it's helpful):

My 15" Alum Powerbook running 10.4.4 froze up during the log-in
process this a.m. for the first time.

I had been running it for a half-hour in Target (firewire) mode to
update my main iMac after a trip out of town... just manually
dragging and dropping certain folders (nothing
system/library-related) from my main user folder in the PB to the
main account in the desktop mac. I've done this before and haven't
had a problem.

After I unmounted the Powerbook from my iMac and unhooked the
firewire cable, I restarted the PB and it came up fine, presenting me
with the login screen. I chose my main user acct. as usual and
entered the password.

My desktop background came up but *nothing else* other than the
Spotlight magnifying glass far right. (no other part of the Finder
menu appeared). No dock, no desktop items, etc. The mouse worked
though.

It sat there for 15 minutes before I realized it just wasn't coming
up. I force-restarted and this time at the login screen I chose my
"test" account. That account loaded fine.... dock, finder,
third-party doohickeys in the menubar (Stuffit, VersionCue CS2, Now
Up to Date).

I used fast user switching and chose my daughter's account. That came
up fine too.

I used fast user switching one more time and chose my main account.
The same exact symptoms as before happened ... desktop picture
background and spotlight icon at far right, nothing else, not even a
Finder menu bar.

So I restarted in Safe Boot mode (Shift Key) and it took about 5
minutes of me sitting there with my finger on Shift until I got the
log-in screen that said Safe Boot. I logged into my main account, and
woo-hoo it loaded fine.

The only non-Apple thing I see in the menu bar is for Now Up to Date.

So ... now what? What should I be removing/uninstalling (or, where
should I be looking) in order to get my account to boot correctly
outside of Safe boot?

As I said, WITHOUT Safe Boot, 2 other admin accounts load fine. It's
only my account with the problem.

So it's got to be something in my User/Library, right? Not in
/Library or elsewhere? Any likely suspects? Nothing new has been
installed since it last worked fine, except for the 10.4.4 update
from 10.4.3 that I did while I was out of town. But after installing
that update I had to restart, of course, and didn't encounter a
problem logging in... that was a few days ago.

thanks
AM