[X4U] Re: New Pentium Macs (Altivec)

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Jan 26 10:00:53 PST 2006

Hello,

Thanks.

I do not consider a vector processor a SIMD computer. My definition is from
the wiki paragraph on History.

"Later machines used a much larger number of relatively simple processors".

This allows the algorithm complexity to be knocked down by an order of
magnitude on suitable algorithms from lets say O(n) to O(logn). Each
processor needs a large amount of memory.

If you have a vector CPU with a large vector length as part of a system and
large numbers of such CPU's and the communications architecture is designed
to distribute data and distribute results to the other CPU's in the system
then you have something resembling a SIMD machine (example: Virginia Tech
Mac cluster). However, I do not consider the PowerPC vectors to be large
enough.

John F. Richardson