[X4U] change default Smart Folder parameters?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 14:11:54 PST 2006

On 01/26/06, nk <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> when you create a new Smart Folder in the Finder, the defaults are
> "Kind," and "Last Opened."
>
> Any way to change those? I know I'll prbly want "Name" most often...

I suspect that you'll want "filename" instead. You can replace the
default_smart.plist in
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/ withthis one and it
becomes your new Finder Find option. This one has filename and invisibles as
it's option.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>RawQuery</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>SearchCriteria</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CurrentFolderPath</key>
		<string>/</string>
		<key>FXCriteriaSlices</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>FXAttribute</key>
				<string>kMDItemFSName</string>
				<key>FXSliceKind</key>
				<string>Othr</string>
				<key>Operator</key>
				<string>S:**</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<string></string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>FXSliceKind</key>
				<string>Svis</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<string>No%20%20</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>FXScope</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Version</key>
	<string>10.4</string>
</dict>
</plist>

You can also create a new Smart Folder, tailor to suit your needs, save it,drag
it onto TextEdit (it's a plist file), and use it to replace the current
default_smart.plist (after changing its name). Use at your own risk.

See <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050501162147222>,
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050618105941143>, and,
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050621230020563> for
moredetails.