[X4U] One Safari advantage over Firefox..

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Sat Jan 28 08:28:47 PST 2006

> I find Firefox hard to look at compared to Safari. For me the
> appearance of the type is just unappealing. Also, some features in
> Safari don't seem to be in Firefox, like the ability to have a group
> of sites that open in tabs with one click on the bookmarks bar. I
> know I can accomplish that is Firefox, but the implementation seems
> more efficient (requires less effort) in Safari. Can some of you help
> me understand what unique features are driving you from Safari to
> Firefox? I'd be interested.
Hello Mike,

I've posted about this previously, but the following keep me well and truly
chained to Firefox:

- requirement to confirm close when quitting: I've once too often hit
apple/q when meaning just to close a tab in Safari.

- Sessionsaver - if I do quit Firefox (for example to reboot after a
software update), next time I launch Firefox reloads all the tabs I had
open.

- del.icio.us buttons for social bookmarking/tagging.

- Greasemonkey allows me to configure how I view sites, most useful of all
being the Adblocker script with which I can remove most advertising,
particularly irritating animated ones.

- ability to rearrange tabs.

- Web developer toolbar - excellent CSS configuration tools.

- Scrapbook - allows one to not only save webpages, but rename them,
organise them into folders and even annotate them with highlighting and
comments.

- Page search - I've grown to prefer the extended default capabilities
supplied by Firefox for searching for text within a page e.g. Highlight All,
Match Case, etc.

- Themes - actually I'm not really bothered about these at all, but the 'GR
Apple (Brazil)' one I use is certainly preferable to Safari's brushed metal.

Of course most if not all the above are extensions, but they're mostly only
available for Firefox/Mozilla and not Safari. As to your observation over
the appearance of type, I honestly don't think I'd be able to tell the
difference between anonymous screenshots of page renders between the two
browsers.

NK wrote:
> Safari lets you cycle thru open tabs using a key command, which I
> don't see in Firefox.
I'm not certain I'm understanding you right, but cntrl/page up-down cycles
through tabs in Firefox. Supposedly in v2 you should be able to use
apple/arrow keys but I can't get that to work for me.

My one big gripe with Firefox is that I can't get it to launch RealAudio
files correctly - instead of opening the RA app, it keeps launching
VirtualPC. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers, Colin.

[http://www.eleventhvolume.com]