[X4U] 5K limit?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 29 08:46:27 PST 2006

On 29 Jan 2006, at 04:09, nk wrote:

> so, for real? repost as 2 smaller messages?

Yes. The 5k limit was introduced early-to-mid 2005, I think, but I
have plenty of insightful & worthwhile messages here in my archive
that were posted before then & which are longer.

A size limit is a great idea for filtering messages which contain
entire digests full of quoting, but fails to accommodate slightly
longer posts (eg 6k or 8k) that are genuinely useful & interesting.
As you'll have noticed the message you receive when your posting was
rejected states that it'll be reviewed by a moderator - I'd certainly
not encourage you to break or circumnavigate the rules if this were
the case, but larger messages never reach the list so I can only
assume they never get reviewed.

Since breaking the size limit is an unusual circumstance and no-one's
ever complained about two-part reposts before I don't think it's a
problem. Undoubtedly if there's disagreement then we'll have
discussion on the subject and consensus will eventually be reached.

Stroller.