[X4U] Spy via Widgets

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 14:57:12 PDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> This message I got from a friend.  It points to a French site. The
> Mac OSX 10.4.7. is talking behind your back to APPLE thru your widgets

This is documented at the bottom of http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=303771. Unfortunately it doesn't mention anything
about calling home to Apple on a regular basis.

"You can now verify whether or not a Dashboard widget you downloaded
is the same version as a widget featured on (www.apple.com) before
installing it."

It also lets you know if your existing widgets are out of date.

More details here:

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1515043

Discussion of the issue on an Apple forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=540966

Phil