[X4U] Problem with prolific2303 usbserial driver

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Thu Jul 6 01:52:26 PDT 2006

I am trying to hook up a braille display to my mac mini using a
usbserial cable. The cable uses the prolific pl2303 driver and I have
the latest version; it is even a universal binary. I think that at
one point I had this working correctly but now something is wrong.
After hooking up the braille display to the computer, I can get just
one response from it. For instance:

echo "I am very frustrated with usbserial" > /dev/cu.usbserial
gets that repeated--this macine has speech as well as braille.
however, after that first response, unless I either reboot or unplug
the cable from the usb port and replug it, I get no further
another successful response--but only one.

There is nothing defective in the serial cable or the usbserial
adaptor as they load and work perfectly and consistently on my linux
laptop. I am on the verge of giving up and buying another adaptor but
I hate to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. If anybody has
any suggestions as to how to try to solve this problem, I would be
very interested; I have googled this and found some problems but not
this particular one. I am running macosx.4.6 on a ppc mac mini.

Tia.

--
Cheryl
"Where your treasure is,