[X4U] Mac OS X Routine Maintenance

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Jul 9 17:45:24 PDT 2006

Shera said:

>Point being, in the document that I found on apple's sight there is
>some mention of a slight need to defrag when dealing with LARGE files.
>But the average email reading, web browsing, itune listening Joe does
>not need to and will find no improvement in defragging. And as the
>document mentions it may even do more damage (ie slowing down the
>computer)
>...I am not
>trying to start another email war here, just mentioning that not
>everyone needs to run out and get a defrag program for fear of slow
>computers that may loose their data.

You didn't really read what was on my site before you started to
challenge it, did you?

My site doesn't advocate running out and buying defragmentation software.
Quite the contrary.

It also doesn't tell folks that they will pick up much, if any at all, of
a performance gain by defragmenting.

My site covers the fact that defragmenting with a utility that isn't 100%
OS X-savvy can harm performance.

And, once again, you can put your blind faith in what Apple has to say,
but you do so at your own peril.  At this point, just about all of the
Macintosh experts agree that there is a problem that requires that you
either keep a ridiculous amount of space free on your hard drive, or that
you consider defragementing your drive as the need arises.

I think that there are more than enough citations on my site now for
folks to be able to make up their own mind on this topic...if they read
what the site has to say and they check out the links if they are unsure.

Feel free to handle things as you think best.

Randy B. Singer

ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html