[X4U] OT: Belkin UPS

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Jul 12 05:42:19 PDT 2006

Was it answered definitively?

I would have assumed that VA means "volts x amps"; IE: watts.
But this doesn't seem to be the case with Belkin's units.

I just purchased a step-down transformer, to enable me to plug a 110v
Japanese Nintendo into a 240v UK power socket.
It is described on the box as a "300VA transformer" and on the front
of the PSU is marked:
   Input: 230V AC
   Max current: 1.3A
   Output: 110V AC
   Max current: 2.7A

Since (230V x 1.3A) and (110V x  2.7A) both equal near-as-damnit 300
watts, I can only conclude that it is conventional for manufacturers
of such items to quote the wattage of their supplies in "VA". Belkin
would appear to be using a somewhat misleading convention, if this is
the case.

Stroller.