[X4U] Napster purchased songs cannot be converted to AAC for use on iPod

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 09:20:49 PDT 2006

On 6/22/06 8:48 PM, Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net> wrote:

> Once you purchase an item the Music company can't go back and change
> the rules. Those early cd's (or whatever) were not DRM'd.

The rules certainly can be changed. That's what the DMCA did. Originally,
when you bought a commercial DVD it was not illegal for you to make a backup
copy for yourself. Now it is.

It would not be impossible for the music companies to get the government to
pass a law stating that ripping audio CDs is not legal.

> I believe it will ultimately be up to the consumer as to how all of this will
> DRM stuff will come out. I choose not to use iTunes to get my music.  I
> probably have around 1000 music cds in my library, I won't purchase locked
> cds nor will I use the iTunes store to purchase music.

I also prefer to buy physical CDs in order to avoid DRM. Yet what will both
of us do when all the music CDs are copy-protected? The music companies are
looking to phase out audio CDs eventually.

--
Eddie Hargreaves