[X4U] Displaced Text in Safari

midiboy at mac.com midiboy at mac.com
Wed Jul 19 22:59:20 PDT 2006

My first post to this list in a very long time.....

I have an odd problem.  Some web sites I go to will display patches
of text that look like alien code.  I have discovered that ascii
characters are displaced by two alphabetically.

So:

"Grow Where You are Planted" (w/o quotes) shows on the screen as:

Itqy"Yjgtg"[qw"ctg"Rncpvgf   (quotes are in the text that displays)

This has not always happened, and may be related to Suitcase Fusion
12 in some way, but disabling Suitcase does not solve the problem.

Get This!!   If I copy the scrambled text and paste it into TextEdit,
it pastes correctly!!
If I paste it in Mail.app, it pastes incorrectly.

Any ideas what I need to do???

TIA,

Dave
G5/Dual 2.5, OS10.4.7, current Safari, Mail and everything else. This
computer is often checked with DiskWarrior, permissions are repaired
regularly, and TechTool Pro shows no problems.  I have emptied the
browser cache and history, but for professional reasons, I cannot
create a new user to solve the problem, as I have a ton of high end
music software on this machine that will freak out if anything
changes on the root level.