[X4U] Mac printing through a Win 2003 Server

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 21 14:37:24 PDT 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 18:41, Richard Gilmore wrote:
> First off here at the university we’re very very paranoid and security
> conscious. So the printers are being moved to an internal private
> IP network
> through a Windows 2003 server. What I’ve been told is the printers
> will be
> on that network and access to the rest of the world will be done
> through a
> second non-private IP network. What I’ve been told is this is
> accomplished
> on the Windows side by the machine having two different IP
> addresses at the
> same time. So the computer has one foot in one network and one foot
> in the
> other.

This _sounds_ like simple Network Address Translation.

NAT is most often seen on network routers (just like Apple's Airport)
where one globally unique address is mapped to a range of addresses
within a private network. But it is equally possible to translate one
range of addresses to another, so that 192.168.0.x is translated to
10.0.0.x for instance (or equally 10.0.0.x+y).

I wouldn't normally see any need for this in a printing
environment... my first assumption was that the idea is to prevent
one computer on the network grabbing PDFs intended for another, but
then print jobs are never normally encrypted on a network anyway.

> I’m also told this concept came out of the UNIX community and was
> ported over to the Windows world.

If this is indeed NAT then, yes, that's the case. It's certainly been
common for years for Unix machines to support multiple network
interfaces with separate addresses (and it's surely easier to do so
than to have a single computer with multiple network interfaces on
the same network??).

> This is the first I’ve heard of this.

Sorry it's such a shock to you, but Windows has many useful features
nowadays.

> Now
> for our Macs to be able to print and access the outside world
> simultaneously
> we need to pull off this same trick. Does anybody know anything
> about this
> and how this would be done on a Mac?

Assuming the Windows box is doing nothing more than NAT then you
should just be able to route through the Windows box. If the Windows
box is acting as the print server (and perhaps using Active Directory
stuff to determine who has permission to access each printer??) then
it's doing more than simply having "one foot in one network and one
foot in the other".

> Does anybody know anything about this
> and how this would be done on a Mac?

Ummm... well if that's necessary then presumably a Mac with two
network cards would "serve" (haw haw!) equally well. An Xserve ships
with two network interfaces, I think, but I'm sure you can shove an
extra PCI card in an old PowerMac.

Whichever is the real scenario this would surely allow the Mac to see
both networks and either route the traffic between them or operate as
network print server to them both.

> Would this have to be done through the
> command line or is there a GUI or???

Well, the Mac should just show the extra interface in System
Preferences > Network. Configure IP addresses as appropriate to the
separate network subnets.

If you're actually packet-forwarding (NAT) with the Mac then I
believe `man ipfw` explains how to configure it at the CLI. Yes,
there are GUI utilities to do the same thing.

> I am clueless any info at all would be
> a helpful place to start.

I'm fairly disappointed that a university can't support Macs and are
throwing this at someone who is as confused by this setup as you
obviously are. But it kinda does jibe with my experience as a uni
undergrad 3 or 4 years ago - the IT service there were also
interested only in Windows. My inclination is to say "find a local IT
consultant with some Mac experience" but maybe that isn't in the
budget. If your principle (principal?) job for the uni is maintaining
Macs then I guess the best thing I can say is "Ha ha! It ain't the
OS9 days any more, bud! I guess you should get a clue". Oooops. Did I
just say that? Sorry.

[TO BE CONTINUED...]