[X4U] Change Desktop Picture at custom interval

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 18:33:36 PDT 2006

On 07/28/06, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I used to have my Desktop picture change every 3 or 4 hours using the tip
> provided at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030325020900756
>
> Unfortunately, in Tiger, I can no longer open com.apple.desktop.plist in
> TextEdit and change the values.

You can if you can translate the screwed up coding, but there is a better way.

> How can I change the values using defaults in Terminal?
>
> I know it needs to start with:
> defaults write com.apple.desktop
>
> But I don't know how to format the rest of it.

Trying to use the defaults write command within arrays borders on the
ridiculous, although it's somewhat explained in the manpage for defaults, good
luck deciphering the syntax.

Your best bet is to use the Property List Editor bundled with XCode Tools. Note
for this particular item, you have to change both of these in the "defaults"
section:

Change->TimeInterval---it's Never if you have it turned off
ChangeTime->time in seconds---for three hours, that would be 10800 (3600 x 3)

Do it the easiest way.