[X4U] iPhoto Library Reorganization [4]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 29 09:42:49 PDT 2006

On 28/7/06 1:42 PM, "Ken Schneider" <ken at schneider.net> wrote:
> Purchase Portfolio or iView MediaPro or Aperture or Lightroom (when
> available)?

[CONTINUED]

...The other feature I really like about Aperture is that it handles
dual-monitors really well, and I live dual-monitors. Unfortunately
Aperture is also a resource hog and runs really PAINFULLY slowly on
my DP 1.8 G5. This is actually nothing to do with the processors,
which are almost idle most of the time I'm using Aperture, but the
ATI Radeon 9600 XT graphics card. I thought this was an adequate
graphics card when I bought my Mac, as it's good enough to play Doom
3 at acceptable frame-rates, but Aperture really HAMMERS the graphics
card. I'm reluctant to spend £125 - £300 on a new card for this
machine (£125 would get quite a decent StangeDogs-hacked PC graphics
card, I think) and Aperture could be the driving force compelling me
to upgrade to the Intel PowerMacs when they're released.

RAM makes quite a difference with Lightroom, which was what caused me
to to upgrade from 1.25gig to 3gig. Not sure how this might've
affected Aperture because I really didn't use it at the time. But I
think that without it Lightroom was performing better than Aperture
as far as things like speed of straightening are concerned. My
workflow mostly consists of straighten, crop, set white-balance
point, do some exposure & saturation adjustments; Lightroom is
probably quite a little chunk faster at these, and I don't think
Aperture's stacks manage to compensate in time-saving; I hope that a
new graphics card would allow me to race through my "workflow" with
Aperture, which is presently a little frustrating.

The great thing about Lightroom is that the Beta is free, so you can
download it & try it for yourself.

> Anything else I forgot to consider?

Complicated subject, as I'm sure you realised. I hope that my answers
have given _some_ insight - I think when you've read up a little and
tried some more apps you'll know better what you're looking for.

Stroller.