[X4U] Non working Tip from Apple

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 3 09:10:00 PDT 2006

On 3 Jun 2006, at 15:47, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> On an Apple site <http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/exif.html> is a tip
> about reading EXIF data.  This tip is not true.
>
> The tip:
> When you take a photo with a digital camera, a boatload of
> background information is embedded into the file (called EXIF
> metadata), including when the photo was taken, the make and model
> of the digital camera, the exposure, shutter speed, lens focal
> length, whether the flash fired, and a host of other related info.
> Believe it or not, Preview can display all this EXIF metadata — you
> just have to know where to look. To see the EXIF data for the
> current image, just press Command-I, then click on the Details tab,
> and if you scroll down a bit, you’ll see a header for EXIF
> Properties, along with the full scoop on your image.
>

> One can't see the EXIF data.

Quite a few imaging programs - Photoshop's "save for the web"
feature, for example - strip the EXIF data.

I discovered this feature in Preview quite by accident the other day,
but I prefer EXIF Viewer which allows you to right-click on an image,
choose "Open With..." & see its metadata. It also seems to give a
more comprehensive interpretation than that given by Preview.
http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

You will find that:
http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Early%20Works/Whaddon%20Church%
20b.jpg
and
http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Early%20Works/Pylons%20b.jpg
both contain EXIF data. If you copy these images to your Mac, open
them in the current version of Preview and still can't see the EXIF
data then it is a bug with your system.

Stroller.