[X4U] Re: how play .mpeg files? No can do!

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sat Jun 3 15:20:35 PDT 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 4:28 PM, Germain M. wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, none of the programs mentioned
> -which ID- canplay the file in question. Here's a message generated
> by VLC:
>
> "main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'. VLC probably
> does not support this sound or video format."
>
> I'm lost in translation here. So where do we go from here?

That's the problem with some '.mpeg' files. The person encoding them
actually created Windows Media files but improperly named them MPEG.

Windows Media Player for Mac will play these, but it has been
discontinued, thankfully, as it was not very good.

However, since it has been discontinued, MS, it seems, has contracted
with Flip4Mac to give away their plugins for QuickTime.

Flip4Mac was not free before MS gave up the player market to Apple.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx>
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net