[X4U] How do I stop PDFs from opening?

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 08:43:22 PDT 2006

On Jun 9, 2006, at 10:41 AM, "" <dz at caribe.net> wrote:

>> Therefore, THIS is the fix (I sent it last night but the listmom
>> wouldn't post it because it had a screenshot):
>>
>> Open Safari Preferences > click the "General" tab > REMOVE the check
>> mark from the box that's labeled "Open safe files after downloading"
>>> close the preferences, you're done.
>>
>> That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>> Cheers,
>> John
>
> Actually, that would cause *any* file to stop opening after
> download, which was not requested in the original question.
>
> To do what was asked, all you have to do is Option-Click on the
> link.  This will make Safari *SAVE* the resource, instead of
> opening it.  This works for web pages too:  the page will be saved
> instead of opened.
>
> The problem the original poster had was that he wanted to download
> multiple PDFs from the same page, but he kept being interrupted by
> Safari opening them.  All he has to do is Option-Click each link,
> and they will be saved directly instead.
>
> Now that's *my* story and I'm sticking to it. :)
>
>    -dZ.

The original question was specific to AdobeReader, but it is
reasonable to assume that the original poster who is "annoyed" by the
automatic opening of a downloaded file and the time it takes for the
subsequent application to launch, would also be annoyed at other
downloaded files opening involuntarily, especially if one keeps (too)
many applications open simultaneously, or is "under-RAMed". I
understand your point, however, my method ALSO helps you avoid
malware, since you can choose to scan ANY downloaded file before you
open it. That has been the recommendation from several sources,
including MacFixit and Apple. I prefer to have more control of
opening files, I suppose.
       -jM.