[X4U] [OT] Seagate 2 - I love my fans ... or do I?

revDAVE coolcat at hosting4days.com
Fri Jun 16 09:10:19 PDT 2006

I am one of those old-fashioned types - who thinks that end external
FireWire enclosure with a fan is better than an external " fanless - heat
dissipating" enclosure. Of course this is just a personal assumption,
however I think generally the fan would keep the drive cooler than the
fanless ones and therefore the life of the hard drive might possibly be
diminished by extra heat problems.

Then, someone mentioned something that added to this conundrum ... that
generally, most external FireWire drive enclosures with fans, also had the
power supply located inside ... which would add to the heat problem.  So, in
that case ( pun intended) maybe ... it ended up to be a tossup .... whereby
the benefits of having a cooling fan would be offset by the extra heat from
the power supply....

Q: I am curious if anyone has an opinion if there are any benefits to having
a fan in the enclosure? Does anyone know if there are still some external
FireWire enclosures that use fans and also have the power supply outside?

My Dream: What if some manufacturer actually built my dream box: an external
FireWire enclosure that had...

- Heat dissipating metal housing
- & a Fan
- & an external power supply