[X4U] GPS systems and OSx

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jun 16 12:02:08 PDT 2006

On 16 Jun 2006, at 17:44, Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu wrote:

> Anyoen have any recomendations for a handheld GPS system that works
> well and
> interfaces friendly with OSX 10.4.6?

You'll have to be a little more specific about what you want from a
"handheld GPS system" - I'm guessing that you want one with a built-
in screen and you're concerned about uploading maps from your Mac,
but I have a GPS-only unit which tells my Mac its position via
Bluetooth. The only commercial software I know that takes advantage
of this is Route 66 and that has a kinda clumsy interface, but
there's an Open-Source interface to this, too (the GPS just appears
as a serial port to the Mac, I think).

The model I have is this one <http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
SolarBTGPS.php> but I get the impression that all bluetooth GPS use
the same chipset & are likely to work.

Stroller.