[X4U] GPS requirements clarified

Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 17 08:29:44 PDT 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:02:08 +0100
> From: Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com>
> Subject: Re: [X4U] GPS systems and OSx
> To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
> 	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>

> On 16 Jun 2006, at 17:44, Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu wrote:
>
> > Anyoen have any recomendations for a handheld GPS system that works
> > well and
> > interfaces friendly with OSX 10.4.6?
>
> You'll have to be a little more specific about what you want from a
> "handheld GPS system" - I'm guessing that you want one with a built-
> in screen and you're concerned about uploading maps from your Mac,
> but I have a GPS-only unit which tells my Mac its position via
> Bluetooth. The only commercial software I know that takes advantage
> of this is Route 66 and that has a kinda clumsy interface, but
> there's an Open-Source interface to this, too (the GPS just appears
> as a serial port to the Mac, I think).
>
> The model I have is this one <http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
> SolarBTGPS.php> but I get the impression that all bluetooth GPS use
> the same chipset & are likely to work.
>
> Stroller.
>

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:33:22 -0400
> From: Neil Laubenthal <neil at laubenthal.net>
> Subject: Re: [X4U] GPS systems and OSx
> To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
> 	<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> At 10:44 -0600  on 6/16/06, Kevin.Hahn at colorado.edu wrote:
>

> >Anyoen have any recomendations for a handheld GPS system that works well and
> >interfaces friendly with OSX 10.4.6?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Kevin
> >
> >Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:
> >          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984
>
> Having researched these recently . . .I've about decided to buy a
> Nuvi from Garman. They have said that they will fully support OS X by
> the end of the summer.
>

> --
> Neil
> There are only three kinds of stress . . .  your basic nuclear
> stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. All of the three are
> related . . . the key is Jello.

Thank you for the feedback so far.

My main goal is to be able to load maps of my choosing (with routes programmed
into the unit if possible) and then go and mark nav points on the GPS (needs to
have that important LCD on the unit) and then go back, sync the units, and have
printable maps with my nav points on it.

My main use for this is to go out and map routes and photo op locations for some
sporting events that I do so that I can give good maps with precise locations to
my employed shooters so that they don't have to do any scouting on their own
durring the chaos.

There aren't many GPS units out there that have any sort of good rep for playing
nice with macs like this (atleast not that I have found hence my looking to this
list for some help), other features in the GPS can be dealt with later but the
ability to upload maps, download nav points, and have it all interface nicely
so I can print them, and have a LCD on the GPS is all that I really need, the
other features in the specific unit can be compromised if those 4 requirements
are met.

Then again this would all be mute if I could just buy a new MacBook Pro and run
boot camp ;)

Thanks again,

Kevin