[X4U] cataloguing software

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sun Jun 18 07:18:03 PDT 2006

At 3:10 PM +0200 6/18/06, alexandre wrote:
>hi all
>
>i do regular back-ups to different drives that are in two different locations.
>
>i also put stuff on those drives that i do not need to have on my
>laptop (shows downloaded from the itms, etc, etc)
>
>i'm looking for software that could tell me what is on those drives
>without actually being connected to them. any ideas?

Well, you of course can't tell what's on a disk that isn't connected
unless you have cataloged it first. But if you can connect the drives
once, you can catalog them and save the catalogs on your boot drive.

I like DiskTracker for that purpose. Once you have cataloged a drive
(which is very fast to do) the searches of the catalog are remarkably
fast.

Another one that may be even nicer is CDFinder. You can find both at
MacUpdate.com.

Daly