[X4U] OT: Question on cross posting and copyright infringement

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Jun 20 09:47:14 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06 10:42 AM, dz at caribe.net wrote:

> "Fair Use" is expressly encoded in the Copyright Act, and its not an accident,
> nor some dirty little act that everybody does, yet knows secretly that is
> wrong.

Absolutely. My example was basic, perhaps too basic to illustrate my point;
with the exception of excerpting and other legal use under fair use, it has
been against copyright to wantonly republish material. You can't take an
encyclopedia article and retype it and publish it in a newspaper without
permission. You can't take a chapter of a book and republish it in a
magazine without permission.

The original question was not about quoting -- i.e., excerpting. Quoting was
introduced by Mr. Gilmore, but isn't the point of the discussion. The OP
didn't ask about quoting/excerpting!

We aren't talking about "copying things out of" -- we are talking about
copying things. *You* may be talking about "out of", but my general feel
from the original question was about reposting someone's post elsewhere on
the 'Net. That's not copying "out of", that's not "excerpting", that's not
quoting -- that's republishing in its entirety. Different beast.

I work in publishing, and I'm well familiar with obtaining permissions for
inclusion in another work, when it's necessary, and when it's not. There's a
difference between fair use quoting or referencing a study, a poem, a
paragraph from a work, etc., and including the whole work.

> Linda, you seem to have a somewhat distorted view of Copyright Law, which
> makes me question your experience with it.

Ah, dZ, but you fail to see the differences in what is being discussed. You
assumed I'm talking about something I'm not. The OP didn't ask whether he
could include an excerpt of a post in another post! In fact, he asked about
"cross posting"; as I said, it is of course fine to post your own words to
more than one list at a time, the definition of "cross posting".

Instead of arguing with ME and my answer, how about answering the original
poster's question? :)

~Linda