[X4U] Napster purchased songs cannot be converted to AAC for use on iPod

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 22 16:56:06 PDT 2006

On 22 Jun 2006, at 23:02, Jens Selvig wrote:

> Is not using one of these programs to disable the DRM protection on
> a music file, about the same as stealing? To me it would be the
> equivalent of taking a copyright notice off of a photograph.

To me it would be like taking the photograph out of the frame the
store insisted upon selling it in, and framing it a style of your
choice.

But then, as someone once said, bad analogies are like comparing
apples to oranges.

Very OT:

I think (!!) that removing the copyright notice from a photograph
would be quite legitimate, as long as you weren't trying to copy or
resell it (or display it publicly). I'm assuming that you'd only be
removing the *notice* from a print that you'd bought yourself, by
cropping or airbrushing, and simply did not wish to view the
unsightly (c) logo. I believe in this instance you would simply be
doing what you wished with your copy of the physical media - it
certainly wouldn't affect who owned the copyright, and it would be no
loss to them.

Stroller.