[X4U] firewire hub

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:22:03 PDT 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> And, by the way, I wouldn't put two FireWire hard drives on the same
> chain or attach them to a FireWire hub, I would instead purchase a
> multi-port FireWire PCI card.

I second Randy's recommendation of not sharing FireWire (or  USB)
bandwidth between simultaneously operating high-speed devices, but
want to add a cautionary note. Multiple ports on a FireWire (or USB)
PCI card do not guarantee or even imply that each port has it's own
unshared bandwidth. I would recommend that unless you can find
documentation to the contrary that you assume that all ports on a
card will share the same bandwidth.

(Sorry for the late follow up. I found Randy's response while doing
some clean up.)

Phil