[X4U] RAM/MacBook Pro question

jwarms at mac.com jwarms at mac.com
Thu Jun 22 18:48:19 PDT 2006

Just installed a 1GB chip in my new MacBook.

I tried 1X1GB + 1X512MB. Worked perfectly and shows 1.25GB.

Then I tried 1X1GB, with second slot empty. Though I don't think
which slot is which matters. Worked perfectly and shows 1GB. My large
spreadsheet(that saved in 16 sec on the Powerbook and 5 sec on the
512MB MacBook) now saves in 4 sec. Performance is generally noticeably
faster than the original 512MB. (Presumably, 2X512MB would have been
even faster than this 1X1GB.) This 1X1GB config certainly seems
snappier and usable on a final basis without any further upgrading. My
take is that if money was an issue right now, I could buy a single
1GB chipset
now, to give me 1.25GB, and add the second 1GB later (which would bring
the MacBook to 2GB)

But I completely disagree with the poster who hollered that 512MB was
unusable and that Apple was somehow committing a no-no. Not true.
The MacBook is a great machine, even at 512. It runs 10.4 very nicely,
with occasional annoying delays but nothing near crippling. It
doesn't runs hot,
and it's quieter than any other laptop I've ever used. The screen is
great;
I'd call it gorgeous but I don't want to sound like I'm going overboard.

As an example of what you can do with 512, I started a 3-way video iChat
session with a PowerBook and another 512 MacBook, connected over 3Mbps
DSL. Unbelievable pictures and response times.

Bottom line: 512MB is a very usable config, though more memory is nice.

I'm going after the second 1GB board and the faster drive next.

Jon