[X4U] Napster purchased songs cannot be converted to AAC for use on iPod

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Jun 23 10:13:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:20:49AM CDT, Ronald Steinke <ronsteinke at mac.com> wrote:
:
: On 22 June, 2006, at 3:02:28, Jens Selvig wrote:
:
: >If you don't like the DRM restrictions don't purchase the music. If
: >enough customers choose to with hold their purchase of DRM'd music,
: >the sellers will quickly alter their practice of locking up their
: >music.
:
: Sorry, but I simply do not agree with this portion of your post.
:
[...]
:
: As long as the buying public will accept conditions and restrictions
: and continue to buy the products, the producers will continue to
: force their desires and conditions on all of us. Then, it becomes a
: requirement for those who do not like those actions to rebel against
: the conditions by peaceful and lawful means.
:
: As long as the law does not specifically prohibit an action, it can
: be argued that the action is legal even if morally or ethically
: wrong. Big businesses use this as an excuse all the time, some
: politicians do too. Shouldn't we have the right to use the same type
: of tactics?

The problem is that big business lobbies the government far more
effectively than average consumers.  Of course the only true way
to kill DRM is to launch a holy crusade against the source.

: If the law specifically prohibits an action that we consider it to be
: immoral or unethical in its enforcement, then we should have the
: right to work to repeal that law.

Most people have been scared into following the law instead of
doing the right thing.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/