[X4U] firewire hub

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Fri Jun 23 10:41:43 PDT 2006

On 23 Jun 2006, at 18:11, Stroller wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2006, at 17:42, Philip J Robar wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Vard Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with the remarks at the bottom. I have chained FireWire
>>> hard drives and optical drives for several years (only up to
>>> about three devices in a chain, however) with very little in the
>>> way of problems.
>>
>> I didn't say there is a "problem" with daisy chaining FireWire
>> devices..
>
> No. If you read again you'll see that Mr Melichar did, in his
> message of 23 June 2006 16:40:58 BST.
>
> He said:
>    Mine sometimes develop a life of their own (much as SCSI drives
>    used to) and there seems to be no logical way to restore previous
>    order. So every few months when one or other drives does not mount
>    I spend a irritating hour or so pulling cable out and replacing
>    them in a different order only to go through the same procedure a
>    few months later.

Thanks for the various comments. From what has been said it sounds as
if it will be business as usual for me. My problem is not speed of
access since generally I only tend to manage to do one thing at at
time - if FC is rendering I go and do the shopping - but it is
frustrating to have these by monthly glitches. I sometimes try to
console myself that it's all a lot better then in the days of System
6 but somehow it does not work. Then it was all amazing now it's just
frustrating. There is no satisfying some people.

Jan