[X4U] firewire hub

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Jun 23 22:51:16 PDT 2006

Jan Melichar said:

>Thanks for the various comments. From what has been said it sounds as
>if it will be business as usual for me. My problem is not speed of
>access...

Actually, your problems might go away if you put each drive on its own
separate FireWire bus.

There have been a number of reports of flaky behavior, even data
corruption, from putting multiple high bandwidth devices on one FireWire
bus, which exceeds the bandwidth of your FireWire bus.

You may have heard about this with regard to attaching both an iSight and
an external FireWire drive to one FireWire bus and using them
simultaneously.  Some folks have reported completely corrupting their
hard drive from doing this.

I'd love to give you citations for this, but the ones that I have are all
to Apple discussion lists, and Apple has a way of removing discussions
that aren't terribly flattering to Apple...

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html