[X4U] Napster purchased songs cannot be converted to AAC for use on iPod

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jun 25 06:26:30 PDT 2006

On 6/23/06 11:40 AM, "Ronald Steinke" <ronsteinke at mac.com> wrote:

>> The problem is that big business lobbies the government far more
>> effectively than average consumers.  Of course the only true way
>> to kill DRM is to launch a holy crusade against the source.
>

> Now you're going to get us all in trouble. The Office Of Homeland
> Defense will flag all our email correspondence and keep a tap on our
> phone and computer lines and everything else that they can do to
> press us under their thumb until we surrender every right the
> constitution guarantees us.

Actually, Eugene, to whom you're responding doesn't have to worry. He's
advocating a crusade, not a jihad, so he'll be just fine with our handlers.

I recently gave a deposition in support of a colleague. The adversary
attorney asked me about a standard telephone conversation that people in my
profession use to pass responsibility from one to another at the beginning
of the weekend, and in a voice ringing with authority intoned "so, NO ONE
knows the content of this conversation?" I replied "no -- oh, wait,
actually, that's probably not true, but I doubt the NSA will release the
transcript to you..."

By the way, I don't think there's an "Office of Homeland Defense." It's the
"Department of Homeland Security." And it's already underfunded. And I
cannot find my SSN on any recent boarding passes, reservation locator
records, or the few paper airline tickets I've been issued recently. Perhaps
you're upset because the last time you tried to purchase an airline ticket
with nickels scrubbed in an ultrasonic cleaner to remove any traces of
fingerprints the sales agent attempting to mimic an Irish accent from her
office in New Delhi objected that she didn't know how you could send her the
nickels over the phone...

Jim Robertson