[X4U] Tolerance (was Spotlight and Address Book- Strange Behavior)

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Jun 26 08:36:52 PDT 2006

On 6/26/06 9:11 AM, dz at caribe.net wrote:

> But then again, everybody is free to complaint about anything.

"Complaint"? I'm sure you mean "complain", the verb. As you suggest, a
dictionary would have fixed this error! To quote your message, "But this
takes discipline and effort, and a desire to do things well."

Perhaps a message that chides someone else for spelling/grammar mistakes
ought to be free of spelling mistakes itself.

Personally, I agree with Lee (and Carl). I, too, call for tolerance and
understanding.

I believe that on a list with international members, we should all make our
best effort both to write clearly AND to understand what is meant when
something is a little less than perfect. If there are questions, it is easy
enough to ask, "Did you mean 'threw' rather than 'through'?" "When you say
'toolbar on top', do you mean the 'menubar' at the top of your screen?"
Stuff like that.

Personally, I'd rather read a message from someone who doesn't speak English
as their first language who *tries* to use the language correctly, than a
message from someone who can speak English well who writes in Internet
shorthand and l33t-speak: "U R tripn if U think thru wuz mispelt. write 2
M3! <laffs>"

In the case of Lee's original message, in context it was easy enough to
understand what he meant. I think we need to read with a helpful attitude
rather than a critical one. No one is perfect.

And Lee, I don't know the answer to your original question. Did you ever
find a solution?

peace,
Linda