[X4U] OT: Question on cross posting and copyright infringement

dz at caribe.net dz at caribe.net
Mon Jun 26 08:58:49 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Saint James
Sent: 6/26/2006 11:26:36 AM
To: x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
Subject: Re: [X4U] OT: Question on cross posting and copyright infringement

<!SNIP!>
> 	The law is perfectly clear: a writer owns what they write.  They
> have--or should have--control over what happens to their words.  This
> is important.  I have run across several instances where violation of
> this right has caused problems.

The law then is not very clear if it can be interpreted as that.  Here are some inspiring words by the late Justice O'Connor:

"The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of authors, but ‘[t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts.'  To this end, copyright assures authors the right to their original expression, but encourages others to build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work. This result is neither unfair nor unfortunate. It is the means by which copyright advances the progress of science and art."

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor
Feist Publications, Inc. v. Rural Telephone Service Co.
499 US 340, 349(1991)

<!SNIP!>
> 	There are numerous other examples.   The whole matter hinges on one
> concept: politeness.  Be polite and ask for permission to quote.

Agreed, it is a matter of consideration.

> When you don't you're breaking the law and possibly causing someone
> harm or inconvenience.

Not necessarily breaking the law, as rudeness is not a crime (yet!).  However, as mentioned in previous posts, none of this has been tested in court to the extent as to cause a "blanket" ruling.  And, as discussed before, "playing it safe" and suppressing expression may not always be the best course of action.

   -dZ.