[X4U] Including linux machines on an Airport Extreme Network

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 29 10:19:33 PDT 2006

On 29 Jun 2006, at 17:04, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> But I'd like to go wireless with my linux machines falso. does
> anybody know if there's any way tto include the linux machines in
> the airport network.

Yes, this isn't a problem if you find wireless cards with a chipset
supported natively by Linux. Ha!

Airport Extreme is just Apple's name for the 802.11g standard of
wireless, so all you need to do (ha!) is install the wireless card
under Linux, get the drivers working, set the encryption key, connect
to the wireless network, get an IP address & gateway setup, then test.

I like to do this at the command-line.  :D

Look for the prism54 & Ralink rt2500 chipsets first, then the atheros
one (madwifi driver) and the Intel (ip2200??). Avoid cards which
require NDISwrapper but note that some uniformed Linux users will use
NDISwrapper anyway, so just because someone says on the forums that
they used NDISwrapper doesn't mean you should.

This mate of Simon's sells suitable cards - he's based in the UK  but
actually the Belkin is fairly widely available in PC superstores -
look for the F5D7000 & F5D7010. It uses the Ralink chipset & the
rt2500 driver and is recognised automagically by the latest version
of Ubuntu (and Suse and Mandriva, I think... and probably others,
too). You can configure it via the GUI.
http://networkned.co.uk/hardware.php

Since you're asking here it may be easier to use WEP security on your
wireless network rather than WPA.

Stroller.