[X4U] Datafork

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Fri Mar 3 09:38:43 PST 2006

The data fork is the more commonly used fork and it usually holds the
actual data whereas the resource fork is often (although not
exclusively) used for meta data.

What that means: There's a problem with the main data of your
picture. That is really bad. If GC cannot open it, which is aware of
so many file format variations, then I'm not sure one could do much
without looking at the actual bits and bites with a hex editor and
comparing to what the file format should look like. Very time consuming.

I would try two things:

a) Copy the files to a PC and try to open there.

b) Connect with Mr. Lemke, the developer of GC, and request if he
could look at the file. Since Richard Gilmore seems to have
encountered the problem, too, then maybe this is more common and Mr.
Lemke has an interest in improving his product such that it can also
read these somewhat damaged files. I know that GC reads some corrupt
jpeg files to make the best out of it.

Björn