[X4U] Losing Wireless connection

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Fri Mar 3 10:01:56 PST 2006

> Do I need to replace my router?  If necessary, that's fine, but I'd
> hate to spend the $$ (tax season) if not absolutely necessary.
I've been the same problems for the last three weeks or so. Maddening. I too
have a NetGear router, the 834G. I haven't yet ascertained the problem, but
this is what I've tried so far, with no success, but you might have a
different outcome:

- checking with my ISP that the net connection is sound
- moving the router from close to a shared wall
- rebooting using the reset button in the back of the unit (15 secs at
least)
- connecting via ethernet cable to the router and checking settings in the
Netgear control panel
- changing the wireless channel in the control panel
- upgrading and downgrading the router firmware (available via the NetGear
website)
- We have a USB modem and are able to connect successfuly using that with
the same leads as the NetGear (though - deeply irritatingly - connection to
this modem causes sudden random kernel panics)

We have two laptops - both of them are experiencing the same fluctuations
and complete dropouts in wireless receptivity. Even when reception is good,
the router is unable to connect to the internet.

I've narrowed it down to two possibilites now:

- router failure
- interference from a neighbour's network (visible in the airport  menu) -
can't check with him as he's away for long periods

I'll discover which it is when I manage to borrow a friend's router and see
whether that works or not. If you have any success with something not tried
above, please do let me know. Thanks.

Good luck, Colin.