[X4U] Using gnutar in Tiger.

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Fri Mar 3 19:07:13 PST 2006

Why when I try to restore an app wrapper, in this case Retrospect 6.1
(how ironic) is the .app actually not seen as a .app?

gnutar in 10.4 is suppose to support extended attributes and I can
see references to ._ in the restore output so I don't think that's
the problem here.

This is the command that was used to do the original tar

/usr/bin/gnutar -p -X /usr/local/gnuxpat -cf /Volumes/External/
BRUBackups/annie/backup-20060303-0.tar /

Shouldn't that correctly backup all metadata and shouldn't
applications restored from this be actual applications?

I just restored Safari.app and it is correctly an application so it's
just Retrospect 6.0 and Retrospect 6.1 that didn't restore as app's.

Incidently, can anybody confirm that gnutar only takes a date for --
newer and no time component and that this format is correct? If I'm
not mistaken gnu utilitiies support whatever getdate(3) can handle.

/usr/bin/gnutar -W -v -p -X /usr/local/bruconfig/gnuxpat --newer
20060303 -cf /Volumes/External/BRUBackups/annie/backup-20060304-3.tar /

What's happening at the moment is that the above line is actually
doing a full backup. ie. it's not considering the dates at all.